Sunday, May 6, 2012

Marriage Amendments, Sin, and Law & Gospel

Coming up this Tuesday in North Carolina, there is an item on the ballot to make an amendment to the state constitution that would outlaw same sex marriage.  Obviously, this has caused a stir.  Those from each side of the debate have lobbed 'hand grenades' to attempt to take out the other side throughout the debate.  Self-righteousness seems to reign at both ends of the spectrum.

As a Christian, I certainly have my views on the issues being debated.  And in this case, my views somewhat conflict.  Regardless of the specific vote itself, and how I may vote, I came across some blog posts from Mr. Tom Lemke at The Chi Files that I would like to recommend.  In them he discusses homosexuality, law and gospel, how we define people, and our sinful nature.  I would highly recommend reading these posts, and I would also recommend reading them in the order I list them.

1 - Real Law and Gospel > so-called "Natural Law"

2- What defines a person?

3- No, I am!

Mr. Lemke does a terrific job of reminding us Christians about Law (in its harshness) and Gospel (in its graciousness), taking a closer look at out how we ought to debate core beliefs in public discourse, our need for loving our neighbors, and also reminding us who the chief sinner is among us.  Namely you and me.

So again, regardless of whether you live in North Carolina and will be voting on this amendment (or how you may vote), these are some very good thoughts Mr. Lemke has discussed that are worth some time pondering.


Recognize that it is possible (nay, necessary) to understand that what defines a person is not, at root, their sinful actions, but their status as one created in the image of God to be looked upon with love, and treated with dignity.  The Gospel of Jesus Christ and Him crucified for the forgiveness of sins is for us and our sins every bit as much as it is for them and theirs. - Tom Lemke (What defines a person?)


The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
(1 Timothy 1:15 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment